Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How I Make Hemp Milk- the easy way

Making your non dairy milk from scratch is seriously so super easy, and so super cheap, you might just want to add it to your list. Or not. And did you know you can freeze it?? When you have the energy, make a few batches and pop them in the freezer.



Most recipes will tell you to strain the milk to get the itty bitty bits out. I don't. For two reasons.
  • Straining takes out the fiber, much like juicing vs whole food smoothies. I want all the nutrition I can get out of those little babies.
  • Why? The texture doesn't bother me or the fam so... I don't. Unlike nut milks, there really isn't much left as the hemp seeds are naturally soft.


Gather your ingredients:

1 cup hemp seeds
4 cups water (play with it. more water goes farther, less is creamier.)
1 pinch of salt (Celtic sea salt is pictures. use what you have.)
1tsp yacon syrup OR 2  dates OR 2TB maple syrup, etc

2 tsp vanilla or vanilla bean is lovely but I rarely do as I use my hemp milk for savory baking and cooking, too 

Put it all in the blender and it's go time! About 60 seconds. Yes, a VitaMix is amazing and yes I have and love mine. Did I say love? I meant LOVE. But just use what you have. You may have a bit more texture in a standard blender. C'est la vie. 

You are done, baby! Pour in a jar and chill. You can freeze it, too, which is great for making up the months worth all in one go.

xo,
Amy

PS
Elana's Pantry offers recipes using yacon syrup and many more worth browsing- and trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...