Saturday, November 3, 2012

Little Chick Thrifty Quilt- in progress

This isn't your average quilt. It's thrifty and easy. I know you can do this and if you have actual quilting experience...no doubt even better. But if you have no experience but can stitch a stitch- you can make this, too.

I used:
a thrifted sheet with embroidered trim, cut into 42" square
wool blanket someone had washed and tossed in the dryer- super soft!
found doily and sweet hanky I stitched with one of my favorite embroidery patterns you can see here, Aunt Martha's 3753

Lay 'em out, stitch 'em up!
Place your scrappy bits (lace, trim, doilies, hankies, etc) on your top sheet until you have the look you want. Sew in place.

Now, lay your blanket right side DOWN on your kitchen floor. Layer your sheet on top, right side UP. Pin and smooth, pin and smooth. You want to make sure you don't stitch any lumps in place.

I used my acrylic ruler that happened to be four inches wide to draw lines across the quilt with a disappearing ink pen. Hand stitch (or machine) down each line.

The blanket is almost done! I still need to make the binding (using this method) and bind it. Bedrest has me stitching up a storm but no able to dash off for the perfect fabric for the trim. I'm a big believer in using what you have but I want a certain something not in my collection of fabrics. We'll see if I hold out for a fabric shop run or make do! I'll post the finished quilt soon. For more crafty ideas, follow along with my Pinterest board, Handmade and Handmade Embroidery!
What are you working up lately?
xo,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the chick ;) i too made quite a few and in the recent cooler weather I've pulled them all out to the sofa...we'll all be piled up together on the couch wrapped in big fluffy baby blankets...so cute...should be our christmas photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love the chick ;) i too made quite a few and in the recent cooler weather I've pulled them all out to the sofa...we'll all be piled up together on the couch wrapped in big fluffy baby blankets...so cute...should be our christmas photo ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...